Can Baking Soda Be Used For Indigestion?
Baking soda is a Bicarbonate of Soda and is a effective antacid for indigestion. Baking soda has multi benefits. It can cure the symptoms of sour stomach, heartburn and acid indigestion. It is a natural home remedy for dyspepsia or indigestion in which the digestive juices are not secreted properly. This results in upset stomach and discomfort.
Indigestion mainly occurs due to overeating and eating spicy and oily foods. It leads to acidity, gas problems, heartburn and stomach discomfort. Women are also prone to the problem of indigestion during menstruation.
Baking Soda And Water For Indigestion:
- Baking soda is available in almost every one’s kitchen shelf. It is a good home remedy for indigestion and it is a cheap antacid.
- When you eat too fast any fatty and spicy foods, you tend to get the problems of indigestion, acidity, burning in chest and heartburn.
- For immediate relief from indigestion, half teaspoon of baking soda is mixed with half glass of water.
- It will ease the symptoms of indigestion as baking soda neutralizes the stomach acid as it is alkaline or basic in nature.
Precautions While Taking Baking Soda:
- If you consume excess baking soda or other antacid, it will cause the stomach to produce more acids. It leads you to take more antacid or baking soda. This would exhaust the stomach cells and acid levels can drop substantially.
- Reduced level of acids will impair the digestion and food particles can not be broken down properly.
- It will cause allergies and reactions in the body.
- High blood pressure patients should avoid taking baking soda as it contains sodium.
- Like other medications, it is also not a long term solution to your heartburn and indigestion.