What Causes Indigestion In Women?
Indigestion is a painful burning sensation in the upper abdomen. It is also called as dyspepsia. It generally occurs due to overeating, eating too fast, eating fatty and spicy foods, alcohol, smoking, not drinking enough water, depression and stressful conditions. In some people, it occurs due to ulcers and acid reflux also. It also occurs in women during menstruation and pregnancy.
Indigestion problem occurs because of excess acid production in the stomach and it is thrown up into the esophagus. It occur more frequently in women than men. Digestive disorders frequently occur in 45 to 80 percent of women. It is also more common in pregnant women.
Causes of Indigestion In Women:
- Weight gain- this is the main cause of higher incidence of indigestion in women.
- Pregnancy- 50% of pregnant women experience indigestion with symptoms of heartburn. This is because the uterus is expanding in size and pushing the stomach upwards. The pressure inside stomach causes the stomach contents to back up into the esophagus and cause indigestion.
- Symptoms- some indigestion symptoms mimic the cardiac conditions and generally ignored in women.
- Birth control pills- it can also cause indigestion.
- Brittle bone disease- some indigestion medications causes brittle bone and affecting women.
The problem of indigestion is described as discomfort in upper abdomen or the chest. It is associated with belching, flatulence, nausea, bloating and heartburn.
The problem of indigestion in pregnant women is temporary and goes away with the delivery.