What Is The Difference Between Indigestion And Heart Attack?
Sometimes it becomes difficult to differentiate between a heart attack and indigestion symptoms. A person experiencing heart attack may not even know what is happening. It starts slowly and vary among individuals. Chest pain is the best indicator of a heart attack. Sometimes the symptoms of indigestion are confused with heart attack.
Indigestion pain makes you feel if you are having a heart attack. Indigestion is mostly caused by heavy meals and eaten too quickly, sleeping just after meals. Heart attack is usually caused by blocked flow of blood to the coronary artery due to deposition of cholesterol. About 1.1 million Americans suffer a heart attack.
Symptoms of heart attack:
There are some useful points that can help a person to diagnose whether they are having a heart attack or not.
If you smoke and have high cholesterol, diabetes, blood pressure, over weight and have a family history of heart disease, then you should be suspicious.
The heart attack symptoms also include-
- Sudden onset of tightness
- Chest squeezing and chest pain
- Burning and sweating
- Chest pressure
- Discomfort in chest, neck, throat or arm. Pain radiating to left arm
- Jaw discomfort
- Stomach discomfort
- If the above symptoms are associated with sweating, vomiting, nausea, shortness of breath or fainting sensation might indicate a possibility of heart attack.
Symptoms of Indigestion:
- Indigestion is painful burning in the upper abdomen
- loss of appetite and distaste in meals
- Nausea, vomiting
- Belching, abdominal bloating, severe pain in upper right abdomen, discomfort.
- Shortness of breath, pain radiating to jaw, neck and arm
Prevention of a heart attack:
- Keeping blood pressure in control.
- Regular exercise- can reduce weight and stress, control blood pressure, combat infections and would let you sleep better.
- Eating balanced diet
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Avoid spicy and fatty foods as it will increase cholesterol in the body.
Indigestion Or Heart Attack:
- Sometimes, the symptoms of common heartburn or acid reflux resembles to a heart attack.
- If the symptoms for indigestion or common heartburn you have been experiencing all life and nothing different has occurred this time, then it would be a normal indigestion not a heart attack.
- But, if the symptoms are something that you have never experienced before and resembles the above described heart attack symptoms with sweat, then there might be a possibility of heart attack.
- This type of indigestion should be given a serious thought and immediately consult the doctor.