Hyper acidity – Symptoms and Causes of Hyperacidity
Hyper acidity is also called Acid Dyspepsia, which is one of the most common problem. Hyperacidity is a medical condition in which the stomach secretes a lot of acids. It can be caused due to various medications, stressed lifestyle and spicy foods.
Hyperacidity has various symptoms, which can include sudden stomach pain, vomiting, loss of appetite, flatulence and heartburn. Sometimes, the problem aggravates and lead to other complications such as chronic indigestion and gastric ulcers. The problem of hyperacidity affects more than 25% population of the US.
Following are some of the symptoms of acidity -
- Respiratory problems
- Long heartburn
- Stomach and chest pain
- Stmach ulcers
- Pain in ears
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Pain in muscular contraction
- Inadequate weight and turning down food in infants are the symptoms of acidity.
Hyperacidity can be caused due to following reasons -
– Hyperacidity can be caused due to prolonged intake of various medications. Some anti-inflammatory drugs, when taken for a long period of time can develop chances of hyperacidity.
– Drinking alcohol can not only damage your liver, but also can give invitation to hyperacidity problem.
– Heavy smoking is considered to be the other most important cause of hyper acidity.
– The way you eat and what you eat are some of the important factors on which hyperacidity depends. Spicy, oily and fried foods cause the problem of acidity. People who skip their meals or do not eat at proper time are also prone to hyperacidity symptoms.
– Stress is one of the problems which causes hyperacidity. Breathing exercises and meditation should be done to prevent hyperacidity, as stress is one of the important factors responsible for hyperacidity.
Other causes of acidity include -
- Eating junk foods
Acidity problems can interfere your daily activities, hence it should be treated timely.
60-70 million people suffer from digestive diseases in the United States alone. 20% of the population experience Gastroesophageal Reflux symptoms weekly. Stomach acidity is a recurrent problem in a lot of people.
Home Remedies For Obesity
Home remedies for acidity are inexpensive and can help one manage acidity problems efficiently.
Acidity or acid reflux is a condition where the gastric juices and stomach contents flow backwards from the stomach to the esophagus. The esophagus is the tube connecting the mouth and the stomach. This particular occurrence causes irritation in the esophagus often leaving a sour or bitter taste in the mouth. Heart burn is also caused by it.
Let us take a look at some of the home remedies for acidity:
- Calcium gives immediate relief from acidity. Drinking cold milk in small quantities after meals can help bring down acidity. Ice creams are also known to help in acidity.
- A pinch of baking soda added to a glass of water can give immediate relief from gas and acidity.
- Acidic and sour condiments like sauces, hot sauce, vinegar, pickles etc should be avoided.
- Fried and oily food can give a bad time and should be kept away.
- Keep away from eating raw vegetables like onion, radish, cucumber, tomatoes and peppers.
- Sipping on mint juice after meals can be very useful.
- Suck on a small clove to get relief from acidity. It helps in subsiding any acid reflux tendencies.
- Bananas are full of potassium and can help reduce acidity symptoms if taken daily.
- Coconut Water sipped throughout the day can give relief from incessant heart burn.
- Ginger is very useful in treating digestion problems. A spoonful of ginger juice 2-3 times a day can relieve acidity.
- Stay away from alcohol, caffeine and tobacco.
- Eat small meals at regular intervals and chew food slowly. Skipping meals worsens the acidity problem.
- Not having sufficient sleep can also aggravate the acidity problem.
- Exercising is very helpful. Don’t go to bed right after a meal. A small stroll or walk post meal is very beneficial.
- Overweight or obese people may have the problem more because of the excess pressure on the digestive tract.So try losing weight to see an improvement in your GERD symptoms.
- Lastly, drink lots of water, about 8-10 glasses a day. However, don’t drink water during or immediately after a meal. It dilutes gastric juices and can inhibit proper digestion.
The home remedies for acidity are without any side effects and can bring immense relief if consistently pursued.