Borborygmus – The Gurgling Intestines – Causes and Prevention
Gurgling intestines are a common problem among most of the people. The other medical name for gurgling intestines is borborygmus. These are the strange sounds produced by the movement of gas in the intestine. The sounds are loud enough to be heard by others and many assume the sounds come from empty stomach.
Causes of Gurgling Intestines
There are many reasons for occurrence of gurgling intestines. The factors that cause gurgling sounds are:
- The intestinal muscles contract while food and digestive juices move down the digestive tract. Hence a sound is made by the small intestine during this movement.
- A hungry person makes gurgling sounds. The brain of the person sends signals to the intestines to contract in response to the hunger.
- When the food is incompletely digested or too much air is swallowed into the stomach during meal, excessive gurgling sounds are made by the intestine.
, an autoimmune digestive disease damages the villi of intestine. These villi usually absorbs nutrients present in food but if they are damaged nutrients cannot be absorbed and hence some foods cannot be digested leading to gurgling sounds.
i.e inability to digest some foods causes gurgling intestines. For example some people cannot tolerate lactose in milk. The undigested lactose does not move from the intestine on which bacteria is fed producing gas.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
which is characterized by diarrhea, constipation, bloating, abdominal pain, bloating is another cause. IBS leads to disorderly and irregular contractions in the intestines making sounds.
How to Prevent Gurgling Intestines
Gurgling intestines can only be prevented through maintaining a proper diet. Here are some tips enlisted to prevent gurgling intestines.
- Some foods like wheat, onions, sugar and coffee should be taken in moderate amounts. If taken in high amounts they aggravate the condition.
- Do not consume water while eating. Cut down carbonated beverages as they increase the amount of air into the stomach.
- Avoid taking food in a hurry. Chew the food properly. Do not talk while eating as it may also help in swallowing air into the stomach.
- Avoid over-eating and at the same time do not make a habit of being on an empty stomach.
- Take shorter meals with short intervals than taking in a large meal at a time.
Hence it is very important to maintain a healthy and proper diet. See to it that you eat right food stuffs, avoid soft drinks, junk foods, etc. Drink much water as it keeps away gurgling sounds in intestine and also many stomach related disease conditions.