Diverticulosis Diet Recipes
We fall prey to many disease conditions with our bad eating habits and unhealthy lifestyle. One such disease is diverticulitis which is the inflammation of pouches formed on the wall of the colon. If untreated for long period of time, it could become fatal. Diverticulitis can be controlled by following a proper diet strictly. There are some diet recipes for diverticulitis that can be made easily at home.
- As a treatment regime for diverticulitis, the doctor recommends liquid diet to give bowels some rest and ease the pain. Black tea, ice pops, juice, soda can be taken.
- After 2 – 3 days, the patient should take low fiber diet. This includes melons, grapes, bananas and vegetables like mushrooms, potato, cucumber and lettuce.
- Once the symptoms subside, you can take high fiber diet. This includes yogurt, milk, green beans, asparagus, whole wheat pasta, cereals, oat bran, oatmeal, potatoes, turnips, green snap peas, spinach, broad beans, eggs, poultry, fish and squash.
Here are few Diverticulitis Diet Recipes that form a part of Diverticulitis Diet Regime.
Pasta with Chicken and Parmesan
- Chicken breasts – 2
- Whole wheat spaghetti – 2 cups
- Parmesan – ¾ cup grated
- Dijon mustard – ½ tablespoon
- Garlic – 1 teaspoon minced
- Pasta sauce – 2 cups
- Italian seasoning – 1 tablespoon
- Bread crumbs – ½ cup
- Egg – 1
Beat together the egg with Dijon mustard in a large bowl. Place the chicken breasts in a bowl and dress them with the beaten egg and mustard. Take the dressed chicken breasts from bowl and let the excess dressing drain off them.
Take another bowl and combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, minced garlic and Italian seasoning in it. Now add the dressed chicken breasts into it and put the whole into a zip lock bag. Shake the bag for sometime. Take out the chicken breasts and bake it on a hot oven for ½ an hour.
Cook the spaghetti in salt water in the meanwhile. Heat the pasta sauce. Now place the baked chicken breasts, cooked spaghetti and pasta sauce in a plate and serve it hot. This is one of the best diet recipes for diverticulitis that is rich in fiber.
Chickpea and Tuna Salad
- Tuna – 2 cans
- Chickpeas – ½ cup
- Parsely leaves – ½ cup
- Water cress – ½ cup
- Red onion – 1, thinly sliced
- Salt – ½ tablespoon
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Pepper – ½ tablespoon, freshly grounded
- Lemon juice – 1
Place finely sliced onion in a bowl and add lemon juice to it. Keep this aside. Chop the fresh parsely leaves, watercress and put them in a plate. Add chickpeas and flaked tuna fish to it. Add olive oil along with the onion slices. Season the whole dish with pepper and salt
Avocado an Cucumber Soup
- Cucumbers – 2, chopped
- Avocados – 2, chopped
- White onion – ½ , chopped
- Vegetable broth – 1 cup
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Cayenne pepper – ¼ tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Mint – 1 tablespoon, chopped
- Yogurt – ¾ cup
- Salt – ½ tablespoon
- Black pepper – ½ tablespoon
Blend together the avocado, cucumber, yogurt, vegetable broth, lime juice, vinegar, cayenne pepper, onion and chopped mint in a food processor. Pour this mixture into bowls and season it with pepper and salt. Put the bowls in refrigerator and serve it chilled.
All the above recipes for diverticulitis are rich in fiber and are made from fresh ingredients. Following these recipes help the affected person to live a healthy life.