Home Remedies for Constipation in Adults
Sometimes, improper fluid intake or poor consumption of diet can result in irregular and difficult bowel movement. This is called constipation. This can either be a temporary condition or a chronic condition (frequent occurrences). Adults must not use any kind of laxatives to cure these. The most appropriate method to treat constipation is home remedies. If you are shy going to a physician, better is to opt for home-based methods of treating constipation.
Home Remedies for Constipation
Bael Fruit –
Most of the fruits are beneficial in treating constipation. Bael is a very efficient natural laxative that cleans and tones up the intestine. Taking these for 2-3 months regularly can throw out the accumulated fecal matter. It must be taken before dinner in its original form. An adult can consume about 60gm of the Bael fruit.
Adults suffering from chronic constipation must drink pear juice for a few days. Adopt an exclusive diet of the pear fruit. Take a medium-sized pear fruit after breakfast or dinner for most effects.
Eat guava with seeds. It adds fibre to your diet. The roughage will help in removal of the bowel efficiently. Take 1-2 guavas daily.
Grapes have organic acids, cellulose and sugar in it. This rare combination makes it a suitable natural laxative to overcome constipation. They do not clean the bowel alone. They even tone up the intestines and stomach. Take at least 350 gm of grapes everyday. If fresh grapes are not available, soak resins overnight and eat them the next morning. Drink the soaked water also. Boil 10-12 pods of dry grapes (without seeds) in milk. Then consume both separately (i.e.- drink the milk and chew the grapes). Take this at night.
Take 1-2 oranges everyday at bedtime and 1-2 after rising in the morning. This will stimulate your bowels. The orange juice will excite the peristaltic action and prevent the food accumulation in the colon.
Papaya and Figs –
Take half of a medium sized papaya during breakfast. Figs can be taken both in their fresh and dry forms. Soak 4-5 dry figs in water overnight and eat them the following morning.
Consuming raw spinach can cleanse, reconstruct and regenerate the intestinal tract. These contain the finest form of the organic acids. Drink raw spinach juice (100 ml appx.) everyday twice after mixing with water.
Lemon juice –
Squeeze half of a lemon in a glass of warm water. Add salt according to the taste and drink them, every morning.
Copper Vessel –
Take a copper vessel. Fill in drinking water into it and leave it overnight. Drink the water in the morning.0
Take 1 tsp of linseeds (asle) and swallow these with water everyday before each meal.
Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday regularly.
Home Remedy Tips to cure Constipation –
- Eat chapattis made of wheat and roasted black gram powder along with their husk.
- Take 2 tbs of Blackstap molasses before bedtime. You may eat it adding to water, milk, prune juice or fruit juice.
- Walk 4-5 km daily.
- Take ½ cup cabbage juice twice daily.
- Eat more mangoes during seasonal availabilities.
- Dates along with milk may be taken to relive constipation.
- Add 1/4 tsp of Epsom salt to 1/2 a glass of water. Drink them to cure constipation at home.
- Take 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup orange juice and mix them. Drink this to overcome constipation naturally.
- Add some fennel seeds to a glass full of water. Drink them every night before going to bed. Fennel can cure most of the digestive problems. Regular use of fennel seeds can normalize the working of the digestive system.
- Add some almond oil to milk and drink it every night before sleeping. This will improve passage of stool.
- Add 4 gm of triphala powder to 200 grams of warm water or milk. This is a very popular home remedy for constipation.
Symptoms of Constipation in Adults –
The various symptoms seen in patients with constipation are mentioned below –
- Irregularity in passing of hard fecal matter
- Feeling Of a constant fullness in stomach
- Coated tongue
- Loss of appetite
- Foul breath
- Dark circles under eyes
- Insomnia or disturbed sleep felt at night
- Pimples on forehead and face
- Mouth ulcer
- Diarrhea alternating constipation
- Pain in the lumbar region
- Varicose veins
Causes of Constipation
Eating more refined foods, fattening foods, low fibre containing diets are common causes of constipation in adults. Stressful lifestyle, sedentary schedules, drinking less fluids etc. are other causes. Constipation can be caused by different causes like –
- Intake of low fibre-diet
- Decrease in intake of fluids
- Weak abdominal muscles
- Holding back stool frequently when in pressure
- Irregular diet
- Eating more refined foods
- Incomplete chewing of foods
- Diseases like – diabetes, collitis, tumors, hyper acidity, sluggish liver etc.