Burping a Lot
Burping, clinically called
is a very commonly occurring phenomenon. While burping occasionally is not an issue,
burping a lot
after eating is a major concern and has to be looked into. It is quite easy to understand that excessive burping is the resultant of an uncomfortable stomach. Eructation is the response of a stomach that either gets inflated or distended.
Causes of Burping a Lot:
Presence of air results in the stomach getting inflated. Air can get into the stomach while swallowing foods without properly chewing and due to the consumption of liquids in a rapid manner.
- Burp is the stomach’s response to get rid of this trapped air, until which time one cannot attain relief. So, it is important that foods are chewed properly before swallowing.
- Another major cause of burps are carbonated drinks. Carbon dioxide, which is present in these drinks causes the eructation.
- Similarly, excessively chewing gum, breathing through the mouth and using straws to drink liquids are some other causes that lead to excessive burping.
Conditions That Cause Burping:
Apart from eating and drinking habits, eructation is also a major symptoms of many gastric disorders like-
- Gastrointestinal infection
- Gastroesophagal reflux disease
- Stomach ulcers
- Bowel obstruction
- Irritable bowel Syndrome
- Stomach cancer
- Celiac disease
- Esophagus cancer
- Indigestion problems
Also, pregnant women suffer from this problem a lot due to the constantly changing hormone levels in the body that slow down the digestion process.
The first and the best way to address this issue is to develop proper eating habits. It is important to chew food properly before gulping it down the throat. So, it is best you take your time while eating and never be in a rush to finish eating.
- It is also important to take smaller amounts of food during eating. This way you would not be allowing air to get trapped inside the stomach. So, it is best to eat while keeping the mouth closed.
- Avoid fruits and vegetables like apples, peaches, pears, radish, onions, carrots, asparagus et. if you suffer from gastric issues.
- Other ways to prevent burping a lot after eating is to chew cloves, drink herbal teas or garlic soup and drinking water soaked with mint leaves.