Home Remedies for Acidity
60-70 million people suffer from digestive diseases in the United States alone. 20% of the population experience Gastroesophageal Reflux symptoms weekly. Stomach acidity is a recurrent problem in a lot of people.
Home remedies for acidity are inexpensive and can help one manage acidity problems efficiently.
Acidity or acid reflux is a condition where the gastric juices and stomach contents flow backwards from the stomach to the esophagus. The esophagus is the tube connecting the mouth and the stomach. This particular occurrence causes irritation in the esophagus often leaving a sour or bitter taste in the mouth. Heart burn is also caused by it.
Let us take a look at some of the home remedies for acidity:
- Calcium gives immediate relief from acidity. Drinking cold milk in small quantities after meals can help bring down acidity. Ice creams are also known to help in acidity.
- A pinch of baking soda added to a glass of water can give immediate relief from gas and acidity.
- Acidic and sour condiments like sauces, hot sauce, vinegar, pickles etc should be avoided.
- Fried and oily food can give a bad time and should be kept away.
- Keep away from eating raw vegetables like onion, radish, cucumber, tomatoes and peppers.
- Sipping on mint juice after meals can be very useful.
- Suck on a small clove to get relief from acidity. It helps in subsiding any acid reflux tendencies.
- Bananas are full of potassium and can help reduce acidity symptoms if taken daily.
- Coconut Water sipped throughout the day can give relief from incessant heart burn.
- Ginger is very useful in treating digestion problems. A spoonful of ginger juice 2-3 times a day can relieve acidity.
- Stay away from alcohol, caffeine and tobacco.
- Eat small meals at regular intervals and chew food slowly. Skipping meals worsens the acidity problem.
- Not having sufficient sleep can also aggravate the acidity problem.
- Exercising is very helpful. Don’t go to bed right after a meal. A small stroll or walk post meal is very beneficial.
- Overweight or obese people may have the problem more because of the excess pressure on the digestive tract.So try losing weight to see an improvement in your GERD symptoms.
- Lastly, drink lots of water, about 8-10 glasses a day. However, don’t drink water during or immediately after a meal. It dilutes gastric juices and can inhibit proper digestion.
The home remedies for acidity are without any side effects and can bring immense relief if consistently pursued.